The Alter program was created in 2019 at Georgia State University to address the lack of resources and awareness around dementia in African American and faith communities in the state of Georgia. The Alter program is the guiding light for churches and caregivers to keep the spiritual connection strong and vibrant with those living with dementia and works with churches to create dementia-friendly and inclusive environments.
Alter partners with churches to empower their work toward providing a supportive environment for families affected by dementia through education, environmental modifications, and implementation or expansion of dementia resources and support programs.
The Alter program's mission is to inspire and equip faith-based organizations anchored in African American communities to better support families affected by dementia and transform churches into Alter Champions. Alter is your trusted guide through your dementia-friendly journey.
Meet the Team
Fayron Epps, PhD, RN
Founder & Assistant Professor, Emory University
Dr. Epps has devoted her career as a nurse leader to reducing health disparities for underserved populations through innovative, culturally relevant programs for the African American community. She works closely with an interdisciplinary team to promote quality of life for African Americans living with dementia and their family caregivers/care partners through self-care and meaningful activities. Dr. Epps oversees several faith-based research related projects and serves on the Board of Directors for the Southern Gerontological Society, the Alzheimer’s Association Georgia Chapter, and Meals on Wheels Atlanta.
Mia Chester, MA
Adrianne Jones, MA
Janelle Gore, MPH
Public Health Consultant
Alter Church Partners
- Big Bethel AME Church | Atlanta, GA
- House of Hope Atlanta | Decatur, GA
- Saint Philip AME Church | Atlanta, GA
- Tranquil AME Church | Douglasville, GA
- St. James UMC Church | Alpharetta, GA
- Allen Temple AME Church | Atlanta, GA
- Conspired Destiny Ministries | Atlanta, GA
- Amanda Flipper AME Church | Decatur, GA
- Turner Monumental AME Church | Atlanta, GA
- South Fulton Ministerial Alliance | Fairburn, GA
- Journey to the Cross Ministries | Park Forest, IL
- Greater Turner Chapel AME Church | Atlanta, GA
- In His Great Name Worship Center | Fairburn, GA
- Pan African Christian Orthodox Church | Atlanta, GA
- New Tabernacle of Faith Baptist Church | Chicago, IL
- Light of the World Church International | East Point, GA
- Destiny Christian Center International | Fayetteville, GA